Info Panel
1600s
AboutPic

About this site - 1600

Spartansburg History is a work in progress. The information you will find here is based on stories, resources, pictures, news articles and some historic writings. Many of these resources have …

Read More →
1810s
Patrick Run

Patrick Run-Early Settlers and Murder - 1814

The Fitzpatrick’s came from Ireland to settle on a tract of land acquired from the Holland and North America Land Company (Between Tract 286 and 398)  Their stories are tales …

Read More →
1820s
1800horsepulllumber

1820’s Saw Mills - 1820

In the 1820’s William Sterling and Akins started the first lumber businesses in Sparta Township.  The mills were on tract of land purchased from the Holland Land Company and were …

Read More →
1839MapofCC

Sparta Township Established - 1829

Sparta Township was originally a part of Mead Township, then Oil Creek Township.  In 1829, Sparta was named a new election district.  A Post Office and Election location was established …

Read More →
1830s

First Home in Spartansburg - 1830

The first log home in Spartansburg was built on the East side of Oil Creek by Abraham Blakeslee.

Read More →
This is a mill similar to what Akins might have built.

Saw Mill and Grist Mill Begin Business in Spartansburg - 1831

In the 1830’s The Akins brothers, Andrew and Aaron, opened a Saw Mill and a Grist Mill on the East and West Side of Oil Creek.   The Grist mill was …

Read More →
DavisHydea

Platt’s (Akins, Jude, Eldred and Thompson, Davis and Hyde, Platt & Steadman) Mill - 1832

Platt’s Mill on Mill Street beside the dam is the longest operating business site in Spartansburg.  It was the original grist mill site begun by the Akins brothers in the …

Read More →

Akin Store is First - 1837

In 1837, Andrew Akin opened a General Store in Spartansburg.  He employed Eli Catlin as a clerk.  Catlin also purchased, surveyed and laid out the plan for the village.

Read More →
Lamb.Tauber Woolen Mill

The Tauber Woolen Mill (Previously Lamb) - 1837

Woolen manufacturing was among the earliest and longest lasting businesses in Spartansburg.  As early as 1837, nearly 20 years before the borough was incorporated, McWilliams and Emerson developed a carding …

Read More →
1840s
presbyterian churcha

Presbyterian Church - 1849

The Presbyterian Church was organized in 1844.  The church was built in 1849 on the South side of Main Street.  The original pastors were George W. Hampson and Amos Chase.  …

Read More →
1850s
Baptist Church

Baptist Church - 1851

The Baptist Congregation was begun in  Bloomfield in 1820 and met in Concord Township.  In 1849, organizers (listed below) brought a Baptist congregation to Spartansburg.    The original church building …

Read More →
1860s
trainwaterA

Railroads Through Spartansburg - 1862

   The Oil Creek Railroad line from Titusville to Corry opened in 1862.  The Oil Creek became a part of the Western New York and PA, and later the Pennsylvania …

Read More →
school2A

School Building Erected in 1862 - 1862

The first school in Spartansburg town limits was built on land donated by the Akins on the east side of Oil Creek (East Branch) In 1862, a modern new school …

Read More →
1867Map

Business Directory for circa 1867 and 1871 - 1867

Spartansburg grew continually from its incorporation in 1856. As the area of Sparta Township grew, men and women met the needs of the community with their knowledge and skills.  Miss …

Read More →
goldsteinart

Goldsteins’ Mercantile - 1868

With the mottos “Live and Let Live” and “A Satisfied Customer is the Best Advertisement” Goldstein’s Mercantile operated in Spartansburg from 1868 until 1915.  The business was started in 1868 …

Read More →
1870s
sparty 1876a

Spartansburg Downtown 1876 - 1876

Spartansburg was a flourishing village in the 1870’s.  The population was growing and businesses were developing to meet the needs of the citizens.  Grocery and Dry Goods stores, Blacksmiths, Saw …

Read More →
MethodistChurchMorros

Methodist Episcopal Church - 1877

The Methodist Church building remains in its original location on Main Street.  The organization of the Methodist Episcopal Congregation happened about 1827 through Rev IH Tackett.  Church services were initially …

Read More →
sparta70sa

The 1878 Fire Burns Main Street Businesses - 1878

Spartansburg has suffered three major fires in the town business district.  The first fire occurred in 1878 and destroyed homes and businesses on both side of Main Street. The downtown …

Read More →
1880s
sentinelpage

Spartansburg Sentinel (Newspaper) - 1885

    ***NOTE*** Through the generous contribution from the Firth family, photo images of the Sentinel from 1902-1908 will be posted.  These will not be searchable. The first copy of …

Read More →
1890s
1898HorsesCleanUpFireLooking West

1898 Fire on the Northeast End of Main Street - 1898

  Twenty years after the 1878 fire that destroyed both sides of Main Street, the alarm of “Fire!” was sounded at 2 AM on June 13, 1898.  I am sure …

Read More →
1900s
southsidefire

1905 Fire Takes the South Side of Main Street - 1905

  Only seven years after the destructive fire of 1898 which burned the north side of Main Street, the quiet of a January night was broken by the call of …

Read More →
spartabank1905:3:3AdinSentinel

The Spartansburg Bank (1882-1905) - 1905

In 1882, a bank was organized in Spartansburg.  The bank was a private bank with no state or federal backing.  The first President of the bank was IH Burt and …

Read More →
grangebankpic

Grange National Bank - 1908

          The Grange National Bank was the 2nd bank in Spartansburg.  It’s establishment came within 3 years after the failure of the Spartansburg (Tryon) Bank.  Spartansburg …

Read More →
1920s
sparty fairADJ

Spartansburg Fair - 1921

Spartansburg folks enjoy celebrating.  Parades, carnivals, dances, dinners, picnics and gatherings of all sorts have been reported since the late 1800s in the busy borough.  Carnivals and parades were often …

Read More →
4TITLEPIC

The “New” (1922) School - 1922

As the attendance at Spartansburg school increased and the building aged, the community members realized that a new home for education was needed.  So, the School Board and community leaders …

Read More →
1930s
1951:3:19MostArticleA

OSMO Tannery (1933-1989) - 1931

As a part of his duties at the Tauber Woolen Mill, Walter Pfeiffer travelled and visited many businesses that were associated or enhanced the woolen trade.  On one such trip …

Read More →
1940s
housebeforecatholicchurch

Catholic Church - 1941

The Catholic Church has had a presence in Spartansburg for many years.  Services for Catholic residents of Spartansburg and the surrounding area were provided by missionary priests in the mid …

Read More →
2010s
TauberHouseFrontA

The Tauber House - 2014

The house at 223 Main Street was built in the late 1880’s or early 1890’s by AE Morton who was the undertaker.  It was later purchased by Charles Tauber, owner …

Read More →
The Thompson House "The Castle"

The Thompson House - 2014

The Thompson House was known by locals as “The Castle.  It was built for the Thompson Family in……late 1800’s- I have not found an exact date. Several families lived in …

Read More →
American Legion Homea

The Lamb House - 2014

            The land was first purchased by Harvey (Major) Lamb from John Emerson in 1852.  Lamb built the house circa 1870. Lamb owned the Lamb …

Read More →
This building housed the Gospel Tabernacle, which later became the Christian & Missionary Alliance Church.  It stood where the Fire Department is currently.

Gospel Tabernacle 1940s and 1950s - 2014

The Gospel Tabernacle church was established in the early 1940’s and held services in a building on the south side of Main Street that had been built following the 1905 …

Read More →
The Burlingham House

The Burlingham House - 2014

MajorHouseBookA

The William Major House - 2014

  William Major House is located on Main Street and structurally still looks very much the same as in 1876 when this drawing of the house was published in the …

Read More →
JT Waid Estate

The JT Waid House - 2014

The Edwards Woolen Mill

The Edwards Woolen Mill - 2014

The Edwards Brothers (James and WIlliam), with the help of the town, constructed and operated a woolen mill.  Two acres of land at the end of Water Street were donated …

Read More →
stonehouseClipA

The Edwards House - 2014

William Edwards and his family came to Spartansburg from Forfar, Scotland in about 1873.  William, his wife Elisabeth (Scott) and their sons, James and William settled in a house on …

Read More →
The Lindstrom House

The Lindstrom House - 2014

  This house, owned by Herbert and Maude Linstrom. was across from Platt’s Mill, behind the Thompson house.  It has been demolished.    

Read More →
New Era

New Era Temple - 2014

The New Era Temple was established in about 1895 and built a church on the west side of  Mechanic Street, 2 doors down from what is now the PA Gast …

Read More →
MorrisHouse

The Lewis House - 2014

John M Lewis, Esq. owned and operated a wagon and carriage shop in the borough.   He was well-respected for his workmanship and he was also a Justice of the Peace …

Read More →
gestho

The Bates House - 2014

Mr. and Mrs. Fred Bates lived in this house on Mechanic Street         These pictures are from about 1936.                 …

Read More →
BlackmithHerbst

Blacksmith Shops - 2014

At one time, Spartansburg hosted 4 blacksmith shops in the village.  Luther and George Day, Charles Thompson, John McDannel, Charles Kinney and OD Snapp were some of the early smiths …

Read More →
This building was built following the fire of 1878.  It was the home of CW Kinney Grocery, later the Diamond Grocery.  In about 1911, C Rexford moved into the building as a druggist and Jeweler.  The building remained as a drug store into the 1930's, then was a service station and garage.  The last owner was Ray Diemer.  The building has since been demolished.

Rexford Drug Store - 2014

On the southwest corner of Main Street and Mechanic Street, a large brick building was erected after the 1878 fire that destroyed both sides of the Main Street business district.  …

Read More →
1 lakeview hotela

Lakeview (Hewell House) Hotel - 2014

One of the early businesses in Spartansburg was the Lakeview Hotel.  In 1862, CW Hewell opened the St Nichlas Hotel on the northwest corner of Main and Water streets.  During …

Read More →
1889Tauberfamilypic

The Taubers - 2014

The Tauber family held a prominent place in the Spartansburg community.  As owners and managers of the Tauber Woolen Mill, they provided employment as well as products that brought recognition …

Read More →
Screen Shot 2014-08-11 at 6.24.11 PM

The Winans House (J Albert Winans) - 2015

This house belonged to JA (Bert) Winans.  In later years, it had apartment rooms in addition to being the family home. The home was on the North side of Main …

Read More →
schmelzer1905

Gustav Schmelzer Shoes and Boots - 2015

With thanks to Gustav’s Great Grandson, Robert for sharing information and photos of Gustav and some of his tools and wooden travel chest.   Gustav A. Schmelzer was a prominent …

Read More →

Winans’ Stores - 2015

There will be more added to this page-these photos are posted as I seek assistance from family members who may have additional info.  So, check back in a while…. This …

Read More →
NewCentralHotel.ajpg

Central Hotel - 2015

The Central Hotel, also called the New Central Hotel was probably built by Frank and Eva Hill prior to 1880.  It was located near the railroad depot on the south …

Read More →
1870WashMchine2

Inventors and Patent Holders - 2015

Spartansburg has had its share of creative, inventive folks.  Several patents have been received and inventions, ranging from the extremely useful to the slightly silly have come from our history.  …

Read More →
2sNO3

The Edwards Family - 2015

The Edwards Family came to the United States from Forfar, Scotland to Corry around 1871 and moved to Spartansburg about 1873.  William and Elizabeth and their sons, James and William …

Read More →
JayCHuffgravestone

Jay C Huff American Legion Post - 2015

Spartansburg organized an American Legion Post in 1920.  The post was named after Jay C Huff who died in World War I.  He is buried at Rose Hill Cemetery in …

Read More →
1874CCBusDirectoryCover

1874 Directory for Spartansburg and Sparta Township - 2015

The 1874 version of the Crawford County Directory provided a list of residents of Sparta Township and Spartansburg Borough.  The listing included the occupation of the resident.  Those who lived …

Read More →
brooklyn milling co2

Tyler Tannery to Western Union Tannery - 2015

On the south side of Main Street, east of Oil Creek, John Willard Williams, then burgess of Spartansburg, built a tannery in 1869. (a tannery owned by J Ford is …

Read More →
1st sparty bridge - woodenA

1885 Dam Burst and Flood - 2015

Heavy rains that had been falling for several days and an especially heavy storm and possible water spout north of town in the early morning hours of August 24, 1885 …

Read More →

Winans Family (Merchants) - 2015

Creamery and Supplee-Wills-Jones Milk Plant - 2015

Firemen’s Carnivals and Dances - 2015

Spartansburg Firemen sponsored many events, often for fund-raising for the VFD and other organizations. One event was the Firemen’s Carnival.  The first carnival was held in 1948 and was in …

Read More →
EEFROSTA

Evert Frost-Watches and Jewelry - 2015

In the late 1890s and early 1900s, Everett (Evert) Frost and wife, Edna, lived in Spartansburg where he owned a watch and clock repair and jewelry business. His store was …

Read More →

Sports and Teams - 2016

Spartansburg citizens worked hard to develop businesses and industry in the village.  But they also enjoyed watching and playing sports.  Not much information is available on the various sports teams …

Read More →