The Major House was built in 1874-1875 by lumberman, William Major and his wife Catherine
Catherine Major and William Major (sketches from Crawford County Atlas, 1876)
William Major House is located on Main Street and structurally still looks very much the same as in 1876 when this drawing of the house was published in the Crawford County Atlas. The spire at the top of the widow’s watch is gone now, but the watch still remains.
In 1874, a description of the house planned for construction by William Major was included in an article about Spartansburg.