Info Panel
You are here:   Home  /  Business  /  Merchants

Dooher Hardware and Grocery

Peter Joseph Dooher (PJ) and his wife Flora (Whaley) came to Spartansburg before 1910.  He served as a depot operator and telegrapher for the Pennsylvania Railroad from about 1910 until …

Mar 2017 Read More →

Winans / Morris / Beal / Bates / Most / Bova Hardware

AV Winans came to Spartansburg in about 1865 and established a butcher shop with his brother, SA Winans.  Two years later he and his father-in-law purchased hardware stores owned by …

Mar 2017 Read More →

Early Hardware Stores (Alsdorf / Burt / Thompson / Hilliker)

Hardware stores have served an important role in all small communities by providing those items that could not easily be crafted by individuals on their homesteads.  Spartansburg has had many …

Mar 2017 Read More →

Evert Frost-Watches and Jewelry

In the late 1890s and early 1900s, Everett (Evert) Frost and wife, Edna, lived in Spartansburg where he owned a watch and clock repair and jewelry business. His store was …

May 2015 Read More →

Creamery and Supplee-Wills-Jones Milk Plant

Apr 2015 Read More →

The Edwards Family

The Edwards Family came to the United States from Forfar, Scotland to Corry around 1871 and moved to Spartansburg about 1873.  William and Elizabeth and their sons, James and William …

Mar 2015 Read More →

Winans’ Stores

There will be more added to this page-these photos are posted as I seek assistance from family members who may have additional info.  So, check back in a while…. This …

Feb 2015 Read More →

Gustav Schmelzer Shoes and Boots

With thanks to Gustav’s Great Grandson, Robert for sharing information and photos of Gustav and some of his tools and wooden travel chest.   Gustav A. Schmelzer was a prominent …

Feb 2015 Read More →

The Taubers

The Tauber family held a prominent place in the Spartansburg community.  As owners and managers of the Tauber Woolen Mill, they provided employment as well as products that brought recognition …

Nov 2014 Read More →

Rexford Drug Store

On the southwest corner of Main Street and Mechanic Street, a large brick building was erected after the 1878 fire that destroyed both sides of the Main Street business district.  …

Aug 2014 Read More →