Info Panel
You are here:   Home  /  Events  /  Decades  /  1850

Winans / Morris / Beal / Bates / Most / Bova Hardware

AV Winans came to Spartansburg in about 1865 and established a butcher shop with his brother, SA Winans.  Two years later he and his father-in-law purchased hardware stores owned by …

Mar 2017 Read More →

Baptist Church

The Baptist Congregation was begun in  Bloomfield in 1820 and met in Concord Township.  In 1849, organizers (listed below) brought a Baptist congregation to Spartansburg.    The original church building …

Jan 1851 Read More →

Presbyterian Church

The Presbyterian Church was organized in 1844.  The church was built in 1849 on the South side of Main Street.  The original pastors were George W. Hampson and Amos Chase.  …

Jan 1849 Read More →

The Tauber Woolen Mill (Previously Lamb)

Woolen manufacturing was among the earliest and longest lasting businesses in Spartansburg.  As early as 1837, nearly 20 years before the borough was incorporated, McWilliams and Emerson developed a carding …

Aug 1837 Read More →

Platt’s (Akins, Jude, Eldred and Thompson, Davis and Hyde, Platt & Steadman) Mill

Platt’s Mill on Mill Street beside the dam is the longest operating business site in Spartansburg.  It was the original grist mill site begun by the Akins brothers in the …

Jan 1832 Read More →