Info Panel
You are here:   Home  /  Events  /  Decades  /  1860

Winans / Morris / Beal / Bates / Most / Bova Hardware

AV Winans came to Spartansburg in about 1865 and established a butcher shop with his brother, SA Winans.  Two years later he and his father-in-law purchased hardware stores owned by …

Mar 2017 Read More →

Tyler Tannery to Western Union Tannery

On the south side of Main Street, east of Oil Creek, John Willard Williams, then burgess of Spartansburg, built a tannery in 1869. (a tannery owned by J Ford is …

Apr 2015 Read More →

Lakeview (Hewell House) Hotel

One of the early businesses in Spartansburg was the Lakeview Hotel.  In 1862, CW Hewell opened the St Nichlas Hotel on the northwest corner of Main and Water streets.  During …

Aug 2014 Read More →

Blacksmith Shops

At one time, Spartansburg hosted 4 blacksmith shops in the village.  Luther and George Day, Charles Thompson, John McDannel, Charles Kinney and OD Snapp were some of the early smiths …

Aug 2014 Read More →

Goldsteins’ Mercantile

With the mottos “Live and Let Live” and “A Satisfied Customer is the Best Advertisement” Goldstein’s Mercantile operated in Spartansburg from 1868 until 1915.  The business was started in 1868 …

Jan 1868 Read More →

Business Directory for circa 1867 and 1871

Spartansburg grew continually from its incorporation in 1856. As the area of Sparta Township grew, men and women met the needs of the community with their knowledge and skills.  Miss …

Jun 1867 Read More →

School Building Erected in 1862

The first school in Spartansburg town limits was built on land donated by the Akins on the east side of Oil Creek (East Branch) In 1862, a modern new school …

Jun 1862 Read More →

Railroads Through Spartansburg

   The Oil Creek Railroad line from Titusville to Corry opened in 1862.  The Oil Creek became a part of the Western New York and PA, and later the Pennsylvania …

May 1862 Read More →

Presbyterian Church

The Presbyterian Church was organized in 1844.  The church was built in 1849 on the South side of Main Street.  The original pastors were George W. Hampson and Amos Chase.  …

Jan 1849 Read More →

The Tauber Woolen Mill (Previously Lamb)

Woolen manufacturing was among the earliest and longest lasting businesses in Spartansburg.  As early as 1837, nearly 20 years before the borough was incorporated, McWilliams and Emerson developed a carding …

Aug 1837 Read More →