Info Panel
You are here:   Home  /  Events  /  Decades  /  1870

Winans / Morris / Beal / Bates / Most / Bova Hardware

AV Winans came to Spartansburg in about 1865 and established a butcher shop with his brother, SA Winans.  Two years later he and his father-in-law purchased hardware stores owned by …

Mar 2017 Read More →

Tyler Tannery to Western Union Tannery

On the south side of Main Street, east of Oil Creek, John Willard Williams, then burgess of Spartansburg, built a tannery in 1869. (a tannery owned by J Ford is …

Apr 2015 Read More →

1874 Directory for Spartansburg and Sparta Township

The 1874 version of the Crawford County Directory provided a list of residents of Sparta Township and Spartansburg Borough.  The listing included the occupation of the resident.  Those who lived …

Mar 2015 Read More →

The Edwards Family

The Edwards Family came to the United States from Forfar, Scotland to Corry around 1871 and moved to Spartansburg about 1873.  William and Elizabeth and their sons, James and William …

Mar 2015 Read More →

Gustav Schmelzer Shoes and Boots

With thanks to Gustav’s Great Grandson, Robert for sharing information and photos of Gustav and some of his tools and wooden travel chest.   Gustav A. Schmelzer was a prominent …

Feb 2015 Read More →

Lakeview (Hewell House) Hotel

One of the early businesses in Spartansburg was the Lakeview Hotel.  In 1862, CW Hewell opened the St Nichlas Hotel on the northwest corner of Main and Water streets.  During …

Aug 2014 Read More →

Blacksmith Shops

At one time, Spartansburg hosted 4 blacksmith shops in the village.  Luther and George Day, Charles Thompson, John McDannel, Charles Kinney and OD Snapp were some of the early smiths …

Aug 2014 Read More →

The Lewis House

John M Lewis, Esq. owned and operated a wagon and carriage shop in the borough.   He was well-respected for his workmanship and he was also a Justice of the Peace …

Aug 2014 Read More →

The 1878 Fire Burns Main Street Businesses

Spartansburg has suffered three major fires in the town business district.  The first fire occurred in 1878 and destroyed homes and businesses on both side of Main Street. The downtown …

Mar 1878 Read More →

Methodist Episcopal Church

The Methodist Church building remains in its original location on Main Street.  The organization of the Methodist Episcopal Congregation happened about 1827 through Rev IH Tackett.  Church services were initially …

Jan 1877 Read More →