Info Panel
You are here:   Home  /  Events  /  Decades  /  1890

Winans / Morris / Beal / Bates / Most / Bova Hardware

AV Winans came to Spartansburg in about 1865 and established a butcher shop with his brother, SA Winans.  Two years later he and his father-in-law purchased hardware stores owned by …

Mar 2017 Read More →

Tyler Tannery to Western Union Tannery

On the south side of Main Street, east of Oil Creek, John Willard Williams, then burgess of Spartansburg, built a tannery in 1869. (a tannery owned by J Ford is …

Apr 2015 Read More →

The Edwards Family

The Edwards Family came to the United States from Forfar, Scotland to Corry around 1871 and moved to Spartansburg about 1873.  William and Elizabeth and their sons, James and William …

Mar 2015 Read More →

Central Hotel

The Central Hotel, also called the New Central Hotel was probably built by Frank and Eva Hill prior to 1880.  It was located near the railroad depot on the south …

Feb 2015 Read More →

Gustav Schmelzer Shoes and Boots

With thanks to Gustav’s Great Grandson, Robert for sharing information and photos of Gustav and some of his tools and wooden travel chest.   Gustav A. Schmelzer was a prominent …

Feb 2015 Read More →

The Taubers

The Tauber family held a prominent place in the Spartansburg community.  As owners and managers of the Tauber Woolen Mill, they provided employment as well as products that brought recognition …

Nov 2014 Read More →

Lakeview (Hewell House) Hotel

One of the early businesses in Spartansburg was the Lakeview Hotel.  In 1862, CW Hewell opened the St Nichlas Hotel on the northwest corner of Main and Water streets.  During …

Aug 2014 Read More →

Blacksmith Shops

At one time, Spartansburg hosted 4 blacksmith shops in the village.  Luther and George Day, Charles Thompson, John McDannel, Charles Kinney and OD Snapp were some of the early smiths …

Aug 2014 Read More →

The Edwards Woolen Mill

The Edwards Brothers (James and WIlliam), with the help of the town, constructed and operated a woolen mill.  Two acres of land at the end of Water Street were donated …

Aug 2014 Read More →

The Spartansburg Bank (1882-1905)

In 1882, a bank was organized in Spartansburg.  The bank was a private bank with no state or federal backing.  The first President of the bank was IH Burt and …

Mar 1905 Read More →