Info Panel
You are here:   Home  /  Events  /  Decades  /  1940

Dooher Hardware and Grocery

Peter Joseph Dooher (PJ) and his wife Flora (Whaley) came to Spartansburg before 1910.  He served as a depot operator and telegrapher for the Pennsylvania Railroad from about 1910 until …

Mar 2017 Read More →

Winans / Morris / Beal / Bates / Most / Bova Hardware

AV Winans came to Spartansburg in about 1865 and established a butcher shop with his brother, SA Winans.  Two years later he and his father-in-law purchased hardware stores owned by …

Mar 2017 Read More →

Jay C Huff American Legion Post

Spartansburg organized an American Legion Post in 1920.  The post was named after Jay C Huff who died in World War I.  He is buried at Rose Hill Cemetery in …

Mar 2015 Read More →

Central Hotel

The Central Hotel, also called the New Central Hotel was probably built by Frank and Eva Hill prior to 1880.  It was located near the railroad depot on the south …

Feb 2015 Read More →

Gospel Tabernacle 1940s and 1950s

The Gospel Tabernacle church was established in the early 1940’s and held services in a building on the south side of Main Street that had been built following the 1905 …

Aug 2014 Read More →

Catholic Church

The Catholic Church has had a presence in Spartansburg for many years.  Services for Catholic residents of Spartansburg and the surrounding area were provided by missionary priests in the mid …

Dec 1941 Read More →

OSMO Tannery (1933-1989)

As a part of his duties at the Tauber Woolen Mill, Walter Pfeiffer travelled and visited many businesses that were associated or enhanced the woolen trade.  On one such trip …

Jan 1931 Read More →

Spartansburg Fair

Spartansburg folks enjoy celebrating.  Parades, carnivals, dances, dinners, picnics and gatherings of all sorts have been reported since the late 1800s in the busy borough.  Carnivals and parades were often …

Oct 1921 Read More →

The Tauber Woolen Mill (Previously Lamb)

Woolen manufacturing was among the earliest and longest lasting businesses in Spartansburg.  As early as 1837, nearly 20 years before the borough was incorporated, McWilliams and Emerson developed a carding …

Aug 1837 Read More →

Platt’s (Akins, Jude, Eldred and Thompson, Davis and Hyde, Platt & Steadman) Mill

Platt’s Mill on Mill Street beside the dam is the longest operating business site in Spartansburg.  It was the original grist mill site begun by the Akins brothers in the …

Jan 1832 Read More →