Info Panel
You are here:   Home  /  Structures  /  Businesses

Dooher Hardware and Grocery

Peter Joseph Dooher (PJ) and his wife Flora (Whaley) came to Spartansburg before 1910.  He served as a depot operator and telegrapher for the Pennsylvania Railroad from about 1910 until …

Mar 2017 Read More →

Winans / Morris / Beal / Bates / Most / Bova Hardware

AV Winans came to Spartansburg in about 1865 and established a butcher shop with his brother, SA Winans.  Two years later he and his father-in-law purchased hardware stores owned by …

Mar 2017 Read More →

Evert Frost-Watches and Jewelry

In the late 1890s and early 1900s, Everett (Evert) Frost and wife, Edna, lived in Spartansburg where he owned a watch and clock repair and jewelry business. His store was …

May 2015 Read More →

Creamery and Supplee-Wills-Jones Milk Plant

Apr 2015 Read More →

Tyler Tannery to Western Union Tannery

On the south side of Main Street, east of Oil Creek, John Willard Williams, then burgess of Spartansburg, built a tannery in 1869. (a tannery owned by J Ford is …

Apr 2015 Read More →

Central Hotel

The Central Hotel, also called the New Central Hotel was probably built by Frank and Eva Hill prior to 1880.  It was located near the railroad depot on the south …

Feb 2015 Read More →

Gustav Schmelzer Shoes and Boots

With thanks to Gustav’s Great Grandson, Robert for sharing information and photos of Gustav and some of his tools and wooden travel chest.   Gustav A. Schmelzer was a prominent …

Feb 2015 Read More →

Lakeview (Hewell House) Hotel

One of the early businesses in Spartansburg was the Lakeview Hotel.  In 1862, CW Hewell opened the St Nichlas Hotel on the northwest corner of Main and Water streets.  During …

Aug 2014 Read More →

Rexford Drug Store

On the southwest corner of Main Street and Mechanic Street, a large brick building was erected after the 1878 fire that destroyed both sides of the Main Street business district.  …

Aug 2014 Read More →

Blacksmith Shops

At one time, Spartansburg hosted 4 blacksmith shops in the village.  Luther and George Day, Charles Thompson, John McDannel, Charles Kinney and OD Snapp were some of the early smiths …

Aug 2014 Read More →