The Presbyterian Church was organized in 1844. The church was built in 1849 on the South side of Main Street. The original pastors were George W. Hampson and Amos Chase. Oliver N. Chapin served as supply pastor for some time. Early members included: Eli Catlin, Wolcott Bennett, Mrs. Lula Smith. Joseph Culver, Isaac Brown, Charles and John Day, Isaac Farndon and William McLay. An active congregation was maintained until 1866.
After the discontinuation of the Presbyterian congregation, the building was sold to the Congregational Church. Elders JT Waid and William Major served at the church along with Reverend MacKellar. Other members of the Congregationalists were:Homer Hall, WW Youngson, Peter Beisel, Isaac Catrin, and “16 females” (from an old record book).
The membership of the Congregationalist Church dwindled over the years and, in 1912, the building was advertised for sale for unpaid taxes.
The building was purchased by the Spartansburg Grange who remodeled it and used the building for Grange activities for many years.
This is the building as it looks today. It is no longer available for use as a public building due to needed repairs.