Info Panel
You are here:   Home  /  Events  /  Decades  /  1890  /  The Taubers

The Taubers

The Tauber family held a prominent place in the Spartansburg community.  As owners and managers of the Tauber Woolen Mill, they provided employment as well as products that brought recognition to the town.

Martin Tauber purchased the Lamb Woolen Mill in 1898.  He came from Maryland and only owned the mill for seven months before his death.

1889Tauberfamilypic

This photo is from 1889 and shows John and Charles (CH) Tauber who owned the mill following the death of their brother Martin in 1898. Also in the photo is Earl Tauber, a nephew, who managed the mill later along with Walter Pfeiffer (another nephew) Many thanks to Owen Linlithgow Conner (great grandson of Walter Pfeiffer) for the picture.

 

 

 

John and Charles Tauber (brothers) took over the ownership following their brother Martin’s death.

 

 

 

John remained with the company until 1910 and he invented a piece that made manufacture of the “comfort” quilt possible.

1913 Patent for Mechanism for Knitting Fleece-lined Fabric

An article appeared in 1916 Textile World Magazine about the invention

John also had a patent for a pneumatic cleaner-the patent states that it is used in vacuum cleaners.  This patent was from 1912.

 

 

Screen Shot 2014-11-23 at 5.50.46 PM

This 1904 Pope Toledo might be similar to the one owned by John Tauber.

 

John and his wife were well-respected citizens.  He was a watchmaker and enjoyed working on fine machinery.  Known around town as “Uncle John”, he owned the first automobile in the village, a Pope-Toledo.  He and his wife moved to Erie,  after he sold his interest in the mill to his brother Charles,  where they lived until her death in 1915 and his in 1925.

 

 

 

Charles H Tauber remained actively involved with the mill and the community.  Charles made a number of improvements to the mill as its owner.  He expanded the buildings and added a cotton mill which allowed growth of the product line available.  He also was an early car owner, having in his possession a Pierce Arrow.

Charles (CH) Tauber in his Pierce Arrow in front of his home on Main Street.

Charles (CH) Tauber in his Pierce Arrow in front of his home on Main Street.

 

 

 

 

Charles traveled and met with other businessmen in support of the mill.  An article published in 1917 highlights the value of the industry to Spartansburg.  The article notes $25000 in shipments in July of 1917.

1917:7:17MillcarloadsCharles was also involved in civic responsibilities, serving on town council and various committees.  He was known for his generosity, especially to children.  His ready smile and pleasant personality was often mentioned.

Charles (CH) was deeply involved in the “good roads movement” in Crawford County.  This group met and planned to work toward bringing road improvements to connect the communities in the county.  Spartansburg was the last of the towns to benefit from the effort and CH was instrumental in gathering support and funding (donating $500 at one meeting) for the extension of the improved road from Riceville to Spartansburg.  When the road opened in October, 1928, Charles was ill and unable to attend the celebration, but speakers applauded him and co-worker Byron Bixby for his work.   The reporter covering the celebration included a poem written and read by FF Murray, one of the original members of the “good roads men

Charles and his wife enjoyed traveling and made several trips in his later life, including extensive tours of Florida and southern states.  He traveled by car to California, calling his Buick the “Spirit of Sparta”  From California, they went on to spend several weeks in Hawaii in 1928.  It was during that trip that the mill burned, causing delay in his notification of the loss.

Charles became president of the Grange National Bank of Spartansburg.  He remained in this position until his death in 1930 at the age of 66, even though he and his wife had moved to Erie in 1928 following the fire at the mill.  Charles is buried at Rose Hill Cemetery in Spartansburg.

 

After John left in 1910,  nephews Earl Tauber and Walter Pfeiffer joined Charles in the business.

 

 

 

  2014  /  1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, Merchants  /  Last Updated November 24, 2014 by Site Admin  /