The land was first purchased by Harvey (Major) Lamb from John Emerson in 1852. Lamb built the house circa 1870. Lamb owned the Lamb Woolen Mill at the end of Mechanic Street (later Tauber Mill) The home passed through other families, including John and Charles Tauber, Flora Patchen, HB Drought and William Foster.
Following the Droughts’ ownership, in 1944 the building was sold to Paul Blakeslee who lived there until 1946. Shortly thereafter, it became the American Legion Home.
The Jay Huff Legion Post and Auxiliary began to raise funds to allow them to improve the property. They made a number of repairs and updates to the home in 1956. Among the reported repairs and additions were a sink donated by Charles Clickett, a kitchen range donated by the Sparta Grange, a new water system, restrooms, redecoration of a 3 room apartment and the hiring of a custodian.
In 1957, the Sparta Community Hall Committee was established to plan making the Legion Home a community meeting place. Members of that committee included: Raymond Morris, Donald Newbold, Mrs. Florence Kinney and James Reed.
The Legion and Auxiliary held meetings at the home as well as various organizations including the Boy Scouts and the Sportsmens’ Club. It was also used for storage of community items.
In 1961, the home was sold to the Frankowitz family who remodeled the home.
It has since remained a single family residence since that time.
Sadly, the young family who was most recently restoring the home lost it to fire on March 16, 2015. The building was a total loss in the fire.