Churches and schools provide much of the history and many of the stories from any community’s past.

Spartansburg no longer has a community school, but several of the churches remain active.

  • Presbyterian Church (1/1/1849) - The Presbyterian Church was organized in 1844.  The church was built in 1849 on the South side of Main Street. …
  • Baptist Church (1/1/1851) - The Baptist Congregation was begun in  Bloomfield in 1820 and met in Concord Township.  In 1849, organizers (listed below) brought…
  • Methodist Episcopal Church (1/1/1877) - The Methodist Church building remains in its original location on Main Street.  The organization of the Methodist Episcopal Congregation happened…
  • New Era Temple (8/10/1891) - The New Era Temple was established in about 1895 and built a church on the west side of  Mechanic Street,…
  • Catholic Church (12/25/1941) - The Catholic Church has had a presence in Spartansburg for many years.  Services for Catholic residents of Spartansburg and the…
  • Gospel Tabernacle~1940s & 1950s and Christian Missionary Alliance (8/9/1943) - The Gospel Tabernacle church was established in the early 1940's and held services in a building on the south side…

  • School Building Erected in 1862 (6/10/1862) - The first school in Spartansburg town limits was built on land donated by the Akins on the east side of…
  • The “New” (1922) School (9/1/1922) - As the attendance at Spartansburg school increased and the building aged, the community members realized that a new home for…