Historic Homes
  • First Home in Spartansburg (6/9/1830) - The first log home in Spartansburg was built on the East side of Oil Creek by Abraham Blakeslee.
  • The Bates House (8/24/1870) - Mr. and Mrs. Fred Bates lived in this house on Mechanic Street These pictures are from about 1936. Currently,  the…
  • The Lewis House (8/24/1872) - John M Lewis, Esq. owned and operated a wagon and carriage shop in the borough.   He was well-respected for his…
  • The William Major House (8/9/1876) - Catherine and William Major William Major House is located on Main Street and structurally still looks very much the same…
  • The Edwards House (8/10/1881) - William Edwards and his family came to Spartansburg from Forfar, Scotland in about 1873.  William, his wife Elisabeth (Scott) and…
  • The Tauber House (8/2/1887) - October, 1915; On the porch: Charles Messenger (Mildred's brother) , Lulu Wallace (Employee of Tauber Mill), Charles and Mildred Tauber…
  • The Burlingham House (8/9/1888) -
  • The Lamb House (8/2/1891) - The land was first purchased by Harvey (Major) Lamb from John Emerson in 1852.  Lamb built the house circa 1870.…
  • The Lindstrom House (8/10/1894) -   This house, owned by Herbert and Maude Linstrom. was across from Platt's Mill, behind the Thompson house.  It has…
  • The Thompson House (8/2/1901) - The Thompson House was known by locals as "The Castle.  It was built for the Thompson Family in......late 1800's- I…
  • The Winans House (J Albert Winans) (1/28/1905) - This house belonged to JA (Bert) Winans.  In later years, it had apartment rooms in addition to being the family…
  • J T Waid House (3/20/2021) -
Public Buildings
  • Railroads Through Spartansburg (5/1/1862) -    The Oil Creek Railroad line from Titusville to Corry opened in 1862.  The Oil Creek became a part of…
  • Lakeview (Hewell House) Hotel (8/26/1870) - One of the early businesses in Spartansburg was the Lakeview Hotel.  In 1862, CW Hewell opened the St Nichlas Hotel…
  • Central Hotel (2/10/1879) - The Central Hotel, also called the New Central Hotel was probably built by Frank and Eva Hill prior to 1880. …
  • The Spartansburg Bank (1882-1905) (3/4/1882) - In 1882, a bank was organized in Spartansburg.  The bank was a private bank with no state or federal backing. …
  • Grange National Bank (4/20/1908) - The Grange National Bank was the 2nd bank in Spartansburg.  It's establishment came within 3 years after the failure of…
Churches and Schools

  • Presbyterian Church (1/1/1849) - The Presbyterian Church was organized in 1844.  The church was built in 1849 on the South side of Main Street. …
  • Baptist Church (1/1/1851) - The Baptist Congregation was begun in  Bloomfield in 1820 and met in Concord Township.  In 1849, organizers (listed below) brought…
  • Methodist Episcopal Church (1/1/1877) - The Methodist Church building remains in its original location on Main Street.  The organization of the Methodist Episcopal Congregation happened…
  • New Era Temple (8/10/1891) - The New Era Temple was established in about 1895 and built a church on the west side of  Mechanic Street,…
  • Catholic Church (12/25/1941) - The Catholic Church has had a presence in Spartansburg for many years.  Services for Catholic residents of Spartansburg and the…
  • Gospel Tabernacle~1940s & 1950s and Christian Missionary Alliance (8/9/1943) - The Gospel Tabernacle church was established in the early 1940's and held services in a building on the south side…

  • School Building Erected in 1862 (6/10/1862) - The first school in Spartansburg town limits was built on land donated by the Akins on the east side of…
  • The “New” (1922) School (9/1/1922) - As the attendance at Spartansburg school increased and the building aged, the community members realized that a new home for…