The Gospel Tabernacle church was established in the early 1940’s and held services in a building on the south side of Main Street that had been built following the 1905 fire. The building was originally built for Augustus Smeltzer’s shoe store by Edward Allen of Titusvlle (Allen built many of the brick stores on both sides of Main Street following the 1898 and 1905 fires). The building was also used as offices for the Tuaber Wollen Mill in the 1930’s.
This building, along with the building next door that housed Dr. Earnest’s office and another store were later demolished and that property is now the site of the Spartansburg Volunteer Fire Department (about 1965)
The Gospel Tabernacle congregation became the current Christian and Missionary Alliance, and they built a church on Spring Street at the southeast end of Spartansburg.