• Churches,  Structures

    Gospel Tabernacle~1940s & 1950s and Christian Missionary Alliance

    The Gospel Tabernacle church was established in the early 1940’s and held services in a building on the south side of Main Street that had been built following the 1905 fire.  The building was originally built for Augustus Schmelzer’s shoe store by Edward Allen of Titusvlle (Allen built many of the brick stores on both sides of Main Street following the 1898 and 1905 fires).  The building was also used as offices for the Tauber Woolen Mill in the 1930’s. This building, along with the building next door that housed Dr. Earnest’s office and another store were later demolished and that property is now the site of the Spartansburg Volunteer…

  • Churches,  Clergy

    Catholic Church

    The Catholic Church has had a presence in Spartansburg for many years.  Services for Catholic residents of Spartansburg and the surrounding area were provided by missionary priests in the mid 1800s.  Starting in 1906, Father Kuntz, from Corry, held Mass once a month.  He was followed by Father David Hartnett who met with parishioners once a month in the home of William Bliley The Blileys provided a portable altar and 2 benches for those who came to gather near the pot-belly coal stove.   Mrs. Bliley tended the altar linens and vestments.  When a larger congregation required more space, stores were rented for services. Upon the retirement of Father Hartnett, Father…

  • Churches

    New Era Temple

    The New Era Temple was established in about 1895 and built a church on the west side of  Mechanic Street, 2 doors down from what is now the PA Gast Haus.  The congregation members were “spiritualists”.  It is unknown how long there was an active congregation at the church. New Era Temple Dedicated Dedication Report from Titusville Herald (1895) Following the 1898 Fire that destroyed part of the business district on the south side of Main Street, the building was fitted to be the temporary home for 3 businesses.  It also served later as a warehouse for Lamb Woolen Mill, and in 1914 was purchased by the Sentinel for use…

  • Churches

    Methodist Episcopal Church

    The Methodist Church building remains in its original location on Main Street.  The organization of the Methodist Episcopal Congregation happened about 1827 through Rev IH Tackett.  Church services were initially held in the school building that was on land owned by Dan Akins (west of the creek on Main Street) and on alternate Sundays at the Presbyterian Church. The church building was completed in 1877 on the East side of the creek on land donated by Abraham Blakeslee.  It was 34 x 60 and cost $2600. The church is very much the same today, and some of the original windows are still in use.  An addition and some updates were…

  • Churches

    Baptist Church

    The Baptist Congregation was begun in  Bloomfield in 1820 and met in Concord Township.  In 1849, organizers (listed below) brought a Baptist congregation to Spartansburg.    The original church building was erected and dedicated in 1851.  The church was described in the 1955 writings of Ralph Elliott Blakeslee as a “perfect specimen of New England Meeting House.  That building was replaced by the current building on the same property in 1979. Organizers of the original congregation included: AJ Millard, A Matteson, Joseph Cook, John Carperner, Isaac Shreve and Benjamin Darrow. Spartansburg Baptist today.  The new building was built on the same location as the original church building in 1979.

  • Churches,  social

    Presbyterian Church

    The Presbyterian Church was organized in 1844.  The church was built in 1849 on the South side of Main Street.  The original pastors were George W. Hampson and Amos Chase.  Oliver N. Chapin served as supply pastor for some time. Early members included: Eli Catlin, Wolcott Bennett, Mrs. Lula Smith. Joseph Culver, Isaac Brown, Charles and John Day, Isaac Farndon and William McLay.   An active congregation was maintained until 1866. After the discontinuation of the Presbyterian congregation, the building was sold to the Congregational Church.  Elders JT Waid and William Major served at the church along with Reverend MacKellar.  Other members of the Congregationalists were:Homer Hall, WW Youngson, Peter…