• industry,  Tradesmen

    Shreve Chair Factory at Spartansburg

    The Shreve Chair Factory in Spartansburg was located on the site of the early saw mill (started by the Akins brothers in about 1830) that was originally a part of what is now Platt’s Mill. The saw mill property passed through the ownership of John Jude and George Eldred and John Thompson. Eldred took over the management of the saw mill until it burned in 1894. Following his death in 1899, his estate sold 5 acres where the mill had been located to the Shreve Chair Company in Union City. (That property location was where part of Clear Lake Lumber operates now.) That sale was published in the August 17,…

  • 18601900,  Merchants,  Tradesmen

    Photographer~JP Hearn

    James P Hearn served the photographic needs of Spartansburg, Waterford and Union City for several years starting in about 1875. This news article from the Titusville Herald, October 18, 1895 mentions Hearn. He likely had a small shop above one of the stores on Main Street where he worked a few days each month. Hearn was born in Devonshire, England in 1846. He immigrated to Canada in 1872 and studied photography there. He maintained a studio in Union City, rebuilding following a fire in 1879. He is included in the 1884 version of the History of Erie County: Here are some examples of Hearn’s photography in what was known as…

  • 19001950s,  Business,  Merchants,  Stores,  Uncategorized

    Piggly Wiggly

    Grocery stores in the late 1800s and early 1900s, usually had clerks who would get the groceries for customers and bring them to a counter for them. Self-service stores came along later. One of the first to operate as self-service, was Piggly Wiggly. Here is the story of the first Piggly Wiggly stores according to Smithsonian Magazine. https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/bizarre-story-piggly-wiggly-first-self-service-grocery-store-180964708/ Piggly Wiggly came to Spartansburg in about 1934 on Main Street-probably replacing the Red & White Store-1 store in from the corner with Water Street. The manager was Laurence Winsor. His employees included Clair Lindsey, Mabel Schreckengost and Miss Helen Bates. The Piggly Wiggly sponsored contests- one prize was $5 and one…

  • social

    Clear Lake Band

    In 1904, a band, under the direction of Gustave Schmelzer was formed. Over the years, the membership changed, but concerts and parades were frequently attended by townsfolk to watch and hear our local musicians. Gus Schmelzer gave his baton to Abe Goldstein, but his support continued. Mr. Goldstein composed as well as directing the band and orchestra. There is no indication of a date when this concert was held, but the program must have taken a good degree of practice to prepare. The gazebo has since been removed-the Central Hotel (now Ashley’s Pub-2020) can be seen across the street.

  • advertisements

    Shop Ads 1923-?

    Businesses continued to come and go in Spartansburg. Longstanding businesses change hands and keep on going… And, while advertising in 2020 is often done using social media, getting the word out is still vital to keeping customers coming through the doors. Doohers owned a hardware and grocery in town in 1923. Members of PJ Dooher’s family still live in Spartansburg Doohers-“The Square Deal Store” Nationwide Stores came to town in the 1930s. It was a chain store probably located at the corner of Main and Water Street-across from Fish Ford 1936-Iced Coffee In 1950, Spartansburg Woolen Mills/Tauber Woolen Mills offer their Luxury Comforts The Tauber Mill- later the Spartansburg Mill…

  • advertisements

    Shop Ads 1908-1922

    New brick buildings were erected following the 1898 and 1905 fires. The buildings that housed many of the businesses who advertised in the Spartansburg Sentinel and Titusville Herald are still in use today. 1914 Ad- Notice the phone number. The Winans Block was to the right of the IOOF Building. CL Rexford advertised Drugs, Jewelry and Notions- Chicken feed must have been a “notion” The CL Rexford Company was busy in 1917-obviously expanding from Jewelry and Drugs to other things that folks in town needed. They continued in business in 1920, adding electronics to their offerings. The merchants in Spartansburg wanted to be sure that folks were purchasing things they…

  • advertisements

    Shop Ads 1871-1907

    In the late 1800’s Spartansburg had a large business district. Even with fires destroying all or parts of Main Street, these early merchants and tradesmen persevered. Many of the ads appeared in the Spartansburg Sentinel beginning in 1885. The 1871 ads were printed in the Business Directory for Crawford County and represent several businesses prominent at the time. In 1893, Dr. Green advertised his expert dental services- he even refunded your railroad fare if you spent enough… 1902-Blankets from the Edwards Woolen Mill are advertised in a special sale at Ullman’s in Titusville Some 1902 ads from Spartansburg businesses-most in Main Street stores that are still in use. Spartansburg Mercantile…

  • Sports

    Sports and Teams

    Spartansburg citizens worked hard to develop businesses and industry in the village.  But they also enjoyed watching and playing sports.  Not much information is available on the various sports teams in Spartansburg, but newspaper reports provide the following information: Quoits: In August, 1880 our team played against Corry (note that the article refers to the baseball game between the Spartansburg Invicibles and Corry) Quoits is mentioned again in 1904-not necessarily a team. Bike Club In 1899, an article from the Crawford County Commissioner reported that a tax of $1/wheel would be assessed on bicycles in the county, with that money to be used to establish paths along roadways.  The article…

  • Community,  Organizations,  service

    Jay C Huff American Legion Post

    Spartansburg organized an American Legion Post in 1920.  The post was named after Jay C Huff who died in World War I.  He is buried at Rose Hill Cemetery in Spartansburg. The Legion and Auxiliary were quite active in the town, holding dinners, managing an American Legion Home, sponsoring a summer carnival in conjunction with the Volunteer Fire Department, assisting with various service projects and serving as Honor Guard for military funerals. The post was mentioned in an American Legion publication in 1920 (page 11-12) recognizing their efforts as military escorts. They supported a scholarship named in memory of Miss Lucy Morris, a well-loved teacher and assisted in purchase of a…

  • inventors

    Inventors and Patent Holders

    Spartansburg has had its share of creative, inventive folks.  Several patents have been received and inventions, ranging from the extremely useful to the slightly silly have come from our history.  Not much information is available about some of the patents and inventions, but many related to the vocation of the inventor In 1858, John D. Akin received a patent for a musical instrument described below: In 1870, John H Dustan is one of many who was granted a patent for a washing machine.  Could it have been used on something like this one? Link to Patent Furniture springs was the patent for JH Dustan and DW Akin in 1876. Link…

  • Merchants,  Stores

    Hardware: Most’s to Bova’s

    In 1968, the hardware that had been owned and run by Fern Beale and the Bates, was purchased by Herbert Most and his wife Marlott who had come to the US from Germany in 1951.  They owned the store until 1989. The store was in the same location built by Leon Morris in 1899.  As with all the previous owners, the hardware was an important part of the community.  Collections for the March of Dimes, Red Cross and local fund-raising were made at the store.  Displays for Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts and school teams were often found in the windows. In 1971, yet another fire destroyed a business on the…

  • Churches,  Structures

    Gospel Tabernacle~1940s & 1950s and Christian Missionary Alliance

    The Gospel Tabernacle church was established in the early 1940’s and held services in a building on the south side of Main Street that had been built following the 1905 fire.  The building was originally built for Augustus Schmelzer’s shoe store by Edward Allen of Titusvlle (Allen built many of the brick stores on both sides of Main Street following the 1898 and 1905 fires).  The building was also used as offices for the Tauber Woolen Mill in the 1930’s. This building, along with the building next door that housed Dr. Earnest’s office and another store were later demolished and that property is now the site of the Spartansburg Volunteer…

  • Churches,  Clergy

    Catholic Church

    The Catholic Church has had a presence in Spartansburg for many years.  Services for Catholic residents of Spartansburg and the surrounding area were provided by missionary priests in the mid 1800s.  Starting in 1906, Father Kuntz, from Corry, held Mass once a month.  He was followed by Father David Hartnett who met with parishioners once a month in the home of William Bliley The Blileys provided a portable altar and 2 benches for those who came to gather near the pot-belly coal stove.   Mrs. Bliley tended the altar linens and vestments.  When a larger congregation required more space, stores were rented for services. Upon the retirement of Father Hartnett, Father…

  • industry,  Tradesmen

    OSMO Tannery (1933-1989)

    As a part of his duties at the Tauber Woolen Mill, Walter Pfeiffer traveled and visited many businesses that were associated or enhanced the woolen trade.  On one such trip to Cleveland, Ohio in 1932, Walter met and toured the OSMO Manufacturing Company owned by Oskar Most.  His business was in the tanning and production of items made from sheep hides. Most had come to the US in late 1920s and had operated the business in Cleveland for about 2 years.  He was interested in locating in a smaller community where costs might be lower.  Pfeiffer convinced him to visit Spartansburg and move his business here.  In 1933, with Pfeiffer…

  • Schools,  Structures

    The “New” (1922) School

    As the attendance at Spartansburg school increased and the building aged, the community members realized that a new home for education was needed.  So, the School Board and community leaders began to explore making it a reality. The school names have been revised over the years, being Spartansburg Vocational School until 1953 when it became Spartansburg Consolidated School/ Sparta Merged. Advertisements for bids to erect the new structure went out in April, 1922. A separate gymnasium and home-economics building were available on the same campus as the school.  The members of the school board and local leaders continually provided for the needs of the Spartansburg students. Spartansburg School Featured Spartansburg…

  • celebrations,  social

    Spartansburg Fair

    Spartansburg folks enjoy celebrating.  Parades, carnivals, dances, dinners, picnics and gatherings of all sorts have been reported since the late 1800s in the busy borough.  Carnivals and parades were often held to mark the opening of a new business, for example the opening of the Edwards Woolen Mill in 1898, and the opening of the Grange National Bank. So, it is no wonder that 158 years after the establishment of Spartansburg as a town, we are still celebrating.  The Spartansburg Fair is Born The main celebration time for us is the Spartansburg Community Fair- in 2014, the 93rd Fair.  While several fair-like events had been held, sometimes more than once…

  • Citizens,  Merchants,  Stores

    Dooher Hardware and Grocery

    Peter Joseph Dooher (PJ) and his wife Flora (Whaley) came to Spartansburg before 1910.  He served as a depot operator and telegrapher for the Pennsylvania Railroad from about 1910 until he retired about 1940. During part of this time, he also owned and managed, with his family, a grocery and hardware store in town.   The store was in what was known at the time as the Winans Block. (In 2017, that building houses Walton’s Cabin and The Spartansburg Pharmacy.)  The building was constructed following the 1898 fire that destroyed the north side of Main Street. This picture shows the gasoline pump that Mr. Dooher had installed in 1921 according to…

  • Merchants,  Stores

    Rexford Drug Store

    On the southwest corner of Main Street and Mechanic Street, a large brick building was erected after the 1878 fire that destroyed both sides of the Main Street business district.  Initially, this building housed the CW Kinney grocery store, later called the Diamond Grocery. About 1911, the store became a drug store and jewelry store owned by the Rexford family with partners.  One of these partners was BL (Bert) Miller who purchased a business from CH Gabriel in about 1907.  More can be found about BL Miller in an article about him. The druggists, Rexford and Allen were involved in some legal difficulties in 1914.  Morphine was sold in an…

  • bank,  PublicWorks

    Grange National Bank

    The Grange National Bank was the 2nd bank in Spartansburg.  It’s establishment came within 3 years after the failure of the Spartansburg (Tryon) Bank.  Spartansburg was a thriving community and it was the feeling of merchants and farmers in the area that a bank was needed. In this Spartansburg Sentinel article from February 15, 1907, it is explained that $25000 is required to establish a National Bank.  That money is through shares of $100 each with 50% due at organization and 10% each month after that until paid. The bank was originally to be called the First National Bank of Spartansburg, and was noted as such in the approval of…

  • Uncategorized

    The Winans House (J Albert Winans)

    This house belonged to JA (Bert) Winans.  In later years, it had apartment rooms in addition to being the family home. The home was on the North side of Main Street in the area where Clear Lake Lumber now stands just east of Blakeslee Street . The house was later demolished. One of the couples who started married life in a Winans Apartment was Margie and Bernie Skiff.  I believe the apartment was in the house, not a tree house…

  • Disasters

    1905 Fire Takes the South Side of Main Street

    Only seven years after the destructive fire of 1898 which burned the north side of Main Street, the quiet of a January night was broken by the call of fire. The millinery store of Mrs. Eastman was the site of the fire’s start. In addition to the millinery store, Dr. Maitland had his offices and the King family had their home in this building.  Dr. Maitland was able to save some of his equipment but lost several valuable medical books.  The others lost all in the flames, the King family narrowly escaping with their lives. The fire spread quickly even with the efforts of the fire hoses and bucket brigade.…

  • Uncategorized

    The Thompson House

    The Thompson House was known by locals as “The Castle.  It was built for the Thompson Family in……late 1800’s- I have not found an exact date. Several families lived in the house through the years.  Like many houses of a “certain age” it is rumored to have been haunted. The house, sadly, was demolished to make room to store lumber needed for a flooring manufacturing business.

  • Medicine,  Merchants,  Stores

    BL (Bert) Miller-Druggist

    BL Miller came to Spartansburg from Williamsport in Summer, 1905 having purchased the business of CH (CA) Gabriel at auction, following the failure of the Spartansburg Bank. (Gabriel was a guarantor of the bank) . He had several years of experience as a druggist and advertisements and articles indicated his success. During this time, another drug store, owned by the Rexfords, was also operating in Spartansburg. In about 1907, Miller and Rexford became partners and Miller purchased a large storefront on the southwest corner of Main and Mechanic Streets (built following the 1878 fire by the Kinneys) that had been the SpartaBargain Store.  Rexford and Miller combined their businesses in…

  • Merchants,  Stores,  Tradesmen

    Evert Frost-Watches and Jewelry

    In the late 1890s and early 1900s, Everett (Evert) Frost and wife, Edna, lived in Spartansburg where he owned a watch and clock repair and jewelry business. His store was on Main Street.  Mr. Frost advertised in the Spartansburg Sentinel, in some creative ways. Everett was raised in Little Cooley and had a clock shop in Riceville prior to the one in Spartansburg.  He and Edna had one child, a son Ivan who died at age 11 when the family had moved to Fredonia, NY.  The three are interred at Rose Hill Cemetery.   It seems that he was divorced and re-married (Bessie Sherlock) after leaving Spartansburg. He adopted Bessie’s 2…

  • celebrations,  social

    Firemen’s Carnivals and Dances

    Spartansburg Firemen sponsored many events, often for fund-raising for the VFD and other organizations. One event was the Firemen’s Carnival.  The first carnival was held in 1948 and was in conjunction with the American Legion to raise money for the American Legion Home.  Several other carnivals were held in the next few years. The firemen also hosted dances and other social events at the firehall building on Mechanic Street.  The building was originally the New Era Temple on Mechanic Street.

  • Disasters,  Timeline

    1898 Fire on the Northeast End of Main Street

    Twenty years after the 1878 fire that destroyed both sides of Main Street, the alarm of “Fire!” was sounded at 2 AM on June 13, 1898.  I am sure that there were folks whose memories returned to that earlier cry with a sense of dread. The fire began in a storage building connected to Reno Drug Store at the Northeast end of Main Street. Reno Drug Advertisement Items When discovered, the townspeople quickly began to organize to contain the fire.  Some went to the Town Hall to retrieve the only piece of fire equipment in town, a hand-operated pump, and found that there was lumber piled in the way that…

  • industry,  Tradesmen

    The Edwards Woolen Mill

    The Edwards Brothers (James and WIlliam), with the help of the town, constructed and operated a woolen mill.  Two acres of land at the end of Water Street were donated and “subscriptions” were sold to raise funds for construction and machinery.  The mill was in operation from 1896 until 1902.  A fire damaged the building and the Edwards’ Mill was re-located to Siverly (Oil City) in 1902. The Edwards Brothers’ family home is featured here. These news clips are from the Titusville Herald: April 10, 1896 June 5, 1896 July 7, 1896:  The Merchant’s Carnival was held in honor of the completion of the Mill Building.  A parade was held…

  • Tradesmen

    The Taubers

    The Tauber family held a prominent place in the Spartansburg community.  As owners and managers of the Tauber Woolen Mill, they provided employment as well as products that brought recognition to the town. Martin Tauber purchased the Lamb Woolen Mill in 1898.  He came from Maryland and only owned the mill for seven months before his death. John and Charles Tauber (brothers) took over the ownership following their brother Martin’s death. John remained with the company until 1910 and he invented a piece that made manufacture of the “comfort” quilt possible. 1913 Patent for Mechanism for Knitting Fleece-lined Fabric An article appeared in 1916 Textile World Magazine about the invention…

  • Uncategorized

    The Lindstrom House

      This house, owned by Herbert and Maude Linstrom. was across from Platt’s Mill, behind the Thompson house.  It has been demolished.

  • Disasters

    1892 Dam Burst and Flood

    On June 5th, 1892, the abundance of rain that had fallen on Spartansburg and the nearby areas proved to be too much for the earthen dam at Eldred and Thompson Mill. While Spartansburg suffered some from the rains and flood waters, the devastation and loss of life on down the river in Titusville and Oil City made this flood only second to the Johnstown Flood of 1889. There are multiple historical reports of the dam burst and flooding available. From the Crawford County Historical Society From the National Weather Service Since I was not present at the event, I have located some news reports from the days immediately after to…

  • Churches

    New Era Temple

    The New Era Temple was established in about 1895 and built a church on the west side of  Mechanic Street, 2 doors down from what is now the PA Gast Haus.  The congregation members were “spiritualists”.  It is unknown how long there was an active congregation at the church. New Era Temple Dedicated Dedication Report from Titusville Herald (1895) Following the 1898 Fire that destroyed part of the business district on the south side of Main Street, the building was fitted to be the temporary home for 3 businesses.  It also served later as a warehouse for Lamb Woolen Mill, and in 1914 was purchased by the Sentinel for use…

  • service

    The Lamb House

    The land was first purchased by Harvey (Major) Lamb from John Emerson in 1852.  Lamb built the house circa 1870. Lamb owned the Lamb Woolen Mill at the end of Mechanic Street (later Tauber Mill) The home passed through other families, including John and Charles Tauber, Flora Patchen, HB Drought and William Foster. Following the Droughts’ ownership, in 1944 the building was sold to Paul Blakeslee who lived there until 1946.  Shortly thereafter, it became the American Legion Home. The Jay Huff Legion Post and Auxiliary began to raise funds to allow them to improve the property. They made a number of repairs and updates to the home in 1956. …

  • Merchants,  Stores,  Tradesmen

    Gustav Schmelzer Shoes and Boots

    With thanks to Gustav’s Great Grandson, Robert for sharing information and photos of Gustav and some of his tools and wooden travel chest. Gustav A. Schmelzer was a prominent and respected merchant and tradesman in Spartansburg for 37 years.  He was born in Bavaria (at that time it was separate from Germany) and had 3 brothers.  Gustav served his country and was wounded in the Franco-Prussian War, after which he came to America.  Two of his brothers, Emil and Franz also came to the US and settled in Buffalo and Erie respectively. He had just begun business, working in a building on the north side when the 1878 fire destroyed…

  • Structures

    The Tauber House

    The house at 223 Main Street was built in the late 1880’s or early 1890’s by AE Morton who was the undertaker.  It was later purchased by Charles Tauber, owner of the Tauber (previously Lamb) woolen mill. These pictures show the Tauber House as seen in 1915. The three front rooms of the house still contain the original oak trim that matches the staircase.  The large picture window on the east and the bay windows on the west side are original.  The bay window shown in the picture at the front of the house was removed in 1938 by then owner Walter Pfeiffer who was a nephew to Charles Tauber…

  • Disasters,  Timeline

    1885 Dam Burst and Flood

    Heavy rains that had been falling for several days and an especially heavy storm and possible water spout north of town in the early morning hours of August 24, 1885 caused the dam at Eldred and Thompson mill to burst. A man named Frank Babcock was on his way to work at 4 AM and noticed the unexpected amount of water under the bridge. He hurried to let people know about the dam burst which allowed the community to witness and to work to contain what water they could. According to the news article from the August 25 Titusville Herald, several bridges were destroyed and property losses were listed. The…

  • PublicWorks,  Sentinel

    Read the Spartansburg Sentinel 1902-1908

    Spartansburg Sentinel Newspapers Thanks to the generous provision of the Firth Family, copies of the original Spartansburg Sentinel from 1902-1908 were permitted to be digitized and shared with visitors to this website. Additional information about the Sentinel and its production can be found here. Be aware that some printing is very light due to the quality of the ink and age of the papers. It will take a minute or so for each paper to load, depending on your internet speed. 1902 August September October November December 1903 January February March April May June July August September October November December 1904 January February March April May June July August September…

  • PublicWorks,  Sentinel

    Spartansburg’s Newspaper the Sentinel

      The first copy of the “Spartansburgh” Sentinel was 2 pages and issued on February 28, 1885.  The Editor was listed as RA Maxwell who published the paper from his home. ***NOTE*** Through the generous contribution from the Firth family, photo images of the Sentinel from 1902-1908 will be posted.  These will not be searchable. COPIES OF SENTINEL TO READ Shortly after, the paper was sold to Allen Tryon who moved the paper into a Main Street building later used as the post office.  Tryon owned the paper for a short time working with A E Walling.  John Wright was employed as a type-setter and after about a year, purchased…

  • bank,  PublicWorks

    The Spartansburg Bank (1882-1905)

    In 1882, a bank was organized in Spartansburg.  The bank was a private bank with no state or federal backing.  The first President of the bank was IH Burt and the first cashier was FD Catlin.  In 1889, DW Tryon became a major stockholder and cashier for the bank.  Community members and farmers from the area made deposits and the bank continued to grow, showing $30,000 available in a bank report in 1900. The Spartansburg Sentinel ran an ad for the bank on March 3, 1905 On March 4, 1905, DW Tryon closed the bank and went to Meadville to transfer all bank and personal property to an “assignee” who…

  • Uncategorized

    The Edwards House

    William Edwards and his family came to Spartansburg from Forfar, Scotland in about 1873.  William, his wife Elisabeth (Scott) and their sons, James and William settled in a house on a double lot on Davenport Street-which he purchased from Benjamin Davenport.  Mr. Edwards had apprenticed as a stone mason in Scotland and he brought that trade with him to America.  He is listed in the 1874 and successive Business Directories for the area.  (Edwards was on the Board of Directors for the Spartansburg Woolen Mill owned by his sons) Several stories have been shared about the stone house that the Edwards family built starting in 1879 and finishing in 1881.  The…

  • hotels

    Central Hotel

    The Central Hotel, also called the New Central Hotel was probably built by Frank and Eva Hill prior to 1880.  It was located near the railroad depot on the south side of Main Street directly across from the site of the Showerman Hotel which burned to the ground in the 1878 fire that destroyed both sides of Main Street. The first mention of the hotel being open is in an article from June of 1880, praising the hotel and Mrs. Rouse, the proprietor. Additional articles in 1880 and 1885 show that the hotel continues to be an important business in town.  They provided not only housing for travelers and visiting…

  • Notable

    Ray Harroun

    The winner of the 1st Indianapolis 500 was born and raised in Spartansburg. He was the son of Russell and Lucy (Halliday) Harroun and was born January 12, 1879. His dad was a carpenter who became the Spartansburg Postmaster in 1880. Harroun spent his early years in the home that his father built on Washington Street. That home still stands. The family lived in the area for several years before moving to Ohio in about 1899. Following high school graduation, he entered the US Naval Academy where he earned a degree in Mechanics. He served during the Spanish American War of 1898. He was honorably discharged and lived in Erie,…

  • Disasters

    The 1878 Fire Burns Main Street Businesses

    Spartansburg has suffered three major fires in the town business district.  The first fire occurred in 1878 and destroyed homes and businesses on both side of Main Street. The downtown of Spartansburg had been growing and many businesses and residences above stores had been built.  Among those businesses was Jacobs and Goldman Dry Goods store.  Grocers, hardware dealers, shoe stores, a hotel, drug stores, milliners and doctors lost buildings in the fire.  The fire was suspicious to folks in town from the beginning and it later proved that their instincts were correct. The sound of “Fire!” was heard and the alarm given just after midnight on March 7, 1878.  Fire…

  • Churches

    Methodist Episcopal Church

    The Methodist Church building remains in its original location on Main Street.  The organization of the Methodist Episcopal Congregation happened about 1827 through Rev IH Tackett.  Church services were initially held in the school building that was on land owned by Dan Akins (west of the creek on Main Street) and on alternate Sundays at the Presbyterian Church. The church building was completed in 1877 on the East side of the creek on land donated by Abraham Blakeslee.  It was 34 x 60 and cost $2600. The church is very much the same today, and some of the original windows are still in use.  An addition and some updates were…

  • Uncategorized

    The William Major House

    William Major House is located on Main Street and structurally still looks very much the same as in 1876 when this drawing of the house was published in the Crawford County Atlas.   The spire at the top of the widow’s watch is gone now, but the watch still remains.

  • Uncategorized

    Spartansburg Downtown 1876

    Spartansburg was a flourishing village in the 1870’s.  The population was growing and businesses were developing to meet the needs of the citizens.  Grocery and Dry Goods stores, Blacksmiths, Saw Mills, Grist Mills, Harness Shops, as well as a hotel were among the businesses available

  • Directories

    1874 Directory for Spartansburg and Sparta Township

    The 1874 version of the Crawford County Directory provided a list of residents of Sparta Township and Spartansburg Borough.  The listing included the occupation of the resident.  Those who lived in the township are designated with an r and a number after their names. 1874 Gazeteer and Business Directory for Crawford County 1874 Description of Spartansburg and 2 business ads

  • Tradesmen

    The Edwards Family

    The Edwards Family came to the United States from Forfar, Scotland to Corry around 1871 and moved to Spartansburg about 1873.  William and Elizabeth and their sons, James and William lived, worked and participated in the community from 1873 until 1903. William (Sr) had been apprenticed and worked as a stone mason in Scotland before re-locating here.  As such, he is listed in Business Directories of the time and was probably actively involved in rebuilding the town following the fires of 1878 and 1898. Not much is known about Elizabeth, and little is recorded about their family life.  Mr. Edwards was described as a craftsman in news articles. More about…